Monday, February 9, 2009

How is Your Preaching? #1

Often I feal that I just missed my whole Congregation with what I wanted to get across. Many Preachers may have this problem. This past weekend this was demonstrated by a news article on channel 3 in Sherveport La. Several public school teachers had a siminar with highscoolers as the teachers. they taught the Teachers how to connect to the people in their classes, They all raved about what a success it was. This caused me to reflect and ask myself a couple of questions. Am I connecting to the people I am trying to teach something? The answer is probally no. I know, I know, What some are already thinking, But before you get too critical, on tuesday try to Preach your Message to your self without notes, Go ahead try it..... How can we expect people to get what we cant remember, even tho we studied for hours. outlined it, and preached it. and somehow forgot it. I was just wondering if any one else has the same problem? What do you think? Marlin Freeman.

1 comment:

  1. I dunno about "connecting" with the people, but I know a few things.

    First, it is the Word of God which changes lives. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

    Secondly, the Holy Spirit convicts people through the Word of God (I challenge others to find one scripture which shows the Holy Spirit drawing without connection to the Word or its preaching.) What tool does the Holy Spirit have? Rather, what sword does he have? The sword of the spirit is the Word of God. (Ephesians 6).

    Thirdly, the Word of God is ALWAYS profitable, because it will never change (2 Timothy 3).

    Lastly, our goal is to preach the Word to the best of our ability, pray for the people, and let the Word do its job.

    1 Cor 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
    1 Cor 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

    Isaiah 55:9 shows God's ways and thoughts are higher than ours.
    Isaiah 55:10 shows God's Word, like rain, falls, waters the earth, brings increase before it returns to the sky.
    Isaiah 55:11 then follows up with "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

    You see, our job is not necessarily to find the best connecting words, so much as preach the Word in a way they can understand, and let the Word do its job. Just keep preaching brother. Even if you don't see the effects, God's Word is doing its job, whether you sow it on stony ground, good ground or somewhere between, it does what God sends it to do.

    I conclude with these verses.
    1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
    2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

    ReplyDelete